From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 12:57:52 -0800
Dear Friends,

I have been alerted today about a situation with a so-called breeder, who is
about 50 miles from me.  This is a portion of the letter I received this
morning....

[Moderator's note: Trish is in Texas, so 50 miles from her is most likely
still... Texas!  BIG]

>I went to look at the ferrets and was not prepared for the shock and
>disappointment of the treatment that these animals were receiving.  I had
>never seen such deplorable conditions even in puppy mills.  The ferrets
>were kept six to a cage, but the cages were the size only big enough for
>one ferrit to be kept comfortably.  The animals had not been bathed for
>quite a while and the cages looked as if they had not been cleaned for
>months.  In the same room, he kept a Boa that was close to five feet long
>in a twenty gallon aquarium.  Some of the females were in season and none
>had been descented or spayed or neutered.  He then took me into a room
>that contained what looked like a large vat.  He had between fifteen and
>twenty ferrets in this room and some looked quite ill.  The man also told
>me that he raised rats for snake food and that was why the placed smelled
>so bad.  I had never been so disturbed by something in my life.  I have
>had a total of six ferrets so far in my life and do not think that such
>wonderful and loving animals should be treated in this fashion.  I was
>most disturbed because I did not know what to do to end their torture.
>If there is any way that you or I could save these animals and hopefully
>put this man out of business for good, please let me know.  Please rescue
>these ferrets!

Myself and some club members had planned to go out there to see for
ourselves and get a head-count, etc., then the club pres, Erika, called
Animal Control, it seems they have a file already on this guy, and now, with
the above report on the guy, they are in the process today of getting a
Search and Seizure Warrant and want this guy in *jail*.  We have been told
to do NOTHING, as authorities fear the guy will flee to Mexico if he knows
authorities are "snooping", so we are sitting on our hands today.  Erika is
in touch with Animal Control and keeping up on what is happening.

The authorities will call upon us to help with the ferrets once they
intervene.  Hopefully all this will happen Friday, can't be before as it
will take that long to get the judge to issue the warrant.

We don't know how many there are, maybe even a hundred or so the way it
sounds.  I am gearing up for 50 to 100 more "incoming" today.  Club members
have been alerted and are standing by to help.  Our vets have been alerted
and are on-call for us.

If anyone can help once these 'kids' arrive, please email me and I will put
you on our list of folks to contact when things start happening.  I suspect
we will be needing *everything*!  Some examples of supplies we will likely
require once I have these ferrets are: food, bowls, water bottles, litter
boxes, litter, bedding material, blankets, sheets, towels, Deliver 2.0,
Sustacal, cages, and large carriers (to use as cages), of course, we'll be
needing some cash to cover immediate expenses, and vet costs.

I will keep everyone posted as things develop.  Keep your fingers crossed
that authorities can *shut this guy down for good*!!!

Hugs,
Trish