From:
"Lockemer, Todd" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Feb 1997 00:29:49 -0500
Well, I also have the Ferret Playpen and am very happy with it.  I did,
however, also experience the "clumsy" ferret falling syndrome.  Here was
my solution:

1) Call Midwest (800/428-8560 or 317/289-3355 <from the warranty>) and
order 3 more shelves (I got a 4th to have a spare while I was at it and
the grand total was $30, shipping included).

2) You also need a large hanging tube (I found one at a local Petland that
is carpeted on the outside and about 1.5 ft long, but I imagine it would be
easy enough to make one from non-flexible PVC pipe) and a large hammock
(larger than the one that comes with the cage - I got one from Ferret
Outfitters, but I think they have some at PetSmart and on some of the
Websites with Ferret Products).

3) Put two of the shelves on the second level starting from the opposite
side of the one already there.  This will leave an open area about 6 inches
wide where the ramp comes up so there is room for them to come up.

4) Put the third shelf on the third level on the opposite side of the one
already there (you don't have much choice where to put it since the door
prevents you from putting it anywhere else).

5) Hang the tube near the back of the cage so it provides a "bridge" between
the two shelves on the third level.  This provides the means for them to go
back and forth on the top shelves.  I put a hammock (not the large one I
mentioned above, this is a second hammock) on the side with the new shelf so
they have to go through the tube to get to it.

6) Ok, now the important part.  It is still possible for your ferret to fall
from the third level down to the first by falling off the new third level
shelf into the 6" gap onto the ramp that leads to the first level (yes, I
found out the hard way with one of my fuzzy's but it was ok).  This is where
the large hammock comes in.  Hang it so it covers this gap (this requires
attaching one corner of the hammock to the top of the ramp that leads from
the first level to the second level and the others to the horizontal bar
that the third-level shelves sit on.).  This will provide a soft landing to
a now short fall if they do happen to fall (mine sometimes now jump down onto
it).  Any other falls are now short enough that they shouldn't get hurt.

This approach also has the added benefit of keeping the cage collapsable
since all the shelves can still be removed.

If anyone has any questions just let me know.  I might be able to scan in a
picture of my setup for anyone who can receive graphics images.  Just send
me e-mail ([log in to unmask]) and I'll see what I can do.

Todd
- Frosty, Snickers, Kimba, and Duchess