From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 31 Jan 1997 01:09:50 -0500
I have 2 separate situations related to sick ferrets:

The 1st has to do with our 2 year old female.  She is in good health (up to
this point), although she sleeps a lot, and she does not eat as much as many
ferrets we've encountered.  She's been having diarhea off and on for the
past few days.  Not only is her stool loose and runny, it's also sometimes
bright green in color.  FACTORS TO CONSIDER: We've had her with us on the
road as we drove home from Nebraska.  We thought she might be car sick--our
drive time totalled 36 hours over a 3 day weekend.  Now we're home, we
thought she'd feel better.  The OTHER factor is that we thought she might be
acting (or reacting) weird towards our new 6 month old baby boy ferret which
we bought in Nebraska.  They fight and bite and wrestle, but we keep an eye
on them.  So we're at a loss with this one, and a trip to the vet is in our
near future.

The other situation has to do with a baby boy ferret that we saw in a pet
shop in Nebraska.  He was six weeks old and fixed and de-scented.  His
stomach was bloated and his anus/rectum stuck out far (definitely beyond the
way they sometimes stick out).  He seemed good natured, and he liked to play
and bite, but his condition concerned us.  The girl at the counter said that
his condition was due to overeating, and she called him "chubby" and she
said that his anus was like it was because of the the switch from soft food
to hard food (or something like that).  She definitely didn't seem to know
anything at all.  And this baby ferret was not chubby, he was bloated and
far too round in just the stomach area.  We called a few local vets, and
they told us that we probably shouldn't take it in, as we'd be asking for a
lot of vet bills.  So the least we could do was report the pet store to an
Animal Care and Control type facility and they are going to go down and
investigate.

Any helpful information would be much appreciated.