From:
"Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 13:37:29 -0400
Hi FML folks - - I have a question about my one of newest additions, Cocoa.
As some of you may remember, Cocoa and Tigger were rescued from a pet store
because they were older ferrets no one wanted.  After my conscious was
tortured and I bought them, I brought them home and proceeded to make them
part of our family with Whiskers and Tiny.  They have all got along great.

My question is this.  Cocoa has now become a Cocoa Bear.  I am not kidding.
In the past week he has gained at least a pound.  He is huge!!  He looks
like a minature black bear.  He is real fluffy also.  My daughter came home
from college this weekend and I asked her to tell me what was different
about Cocoa.  She immediately knew Cocoa was huge.  He is sooooo cute and
big.  He out-weighs all the other ferrets and it is so funny to see him
trying to keep up with the others because of his weight.  Can ferrets gain
this much weight in a week?  He is healthy otherwise, eating, pooping,
sleeping.  This only thing I did different last week was give him some
Petromalt stuff because his poopy seemed to be small and I was concerned
about an obstruction (paranoid is another term).  He got this about three
times last week.  I always put a little Ferretone on it to help get it down.
Maybe he had an obstruction keeping him from gaining weight, or maybe this
made him have an appetite?  I just hope nothing is wrong with him for this
weight gain.  I thought Tigger was huge, but now Cocoa is in the lead.  I
would say close to 3 1/2 to 4 pounds at least.

Glad to see the post regarding giving too many raisins.  Whiskers begs for
them and I have been giving them to him a lot lately and I thought he has
been looking a little scrawny lately.  I am going to find something
different to give him.  My ferrets have their own shelf in my kitchen and he
sits there and looks up to me begging for them.  When compared to Cocoa Bear
he is smaller.  I thought he had lost spring weight but maybe he is getting
too many raisins.  What's a ferret parent to do?

Mindy and her fuzzbeans

Whiskers (Can I have another raisin?   Please??????)
Tiny (Mom, get me off the top of the closet!)
Tigger (Cocoa, you are getting fat)
Cocoa Bear (Who me?  Gained weight?)