From:
Stan Siatkowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:20:18 -0500
After about half-a-dozen visits to the Toronto zoo we FINALLY got to see the
lone black-footed ferret they put on diplay from among those they have in
their captive breeding program.  The exhibit has been down just aboout every
time we've been there before, except for one time when we just got a peek at
a nose in a dark corner.

This one is a very old male, (about 8 years old according to one of the
staff) and tailless due to an amputation because of an abcess.  He was
spending a peaceful afternoon curled up, sleeping and occasionally
stretching right next to the glass.  He seemed to be about Cocoa's size,
like an average small female domestic ferret, and yawned and twitched in his
sleep just like any of our fuzzies do.  It was a real treat to get to see
one of these beautiful and rare animals.

Anyways, I just spent a fairly fruitless hour surfing the net looking for
any recent information on the release program on these critters.  Nobody at
the zoo was available to tell us anything, and I was wondering if anyone out
there knows what's currently going on.

<-------Stan Siatkowski------<<<           Stan & Terrie in Toronto with
<---Toronto Archery Supply---<<<        Mookie, Cecil, Psycho, Cocoa & Stash