From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 20:31:04 +0000
Although I don't have any older ferrets, I have been through some tough
decisions with my other pets.  I cannot help but think it will be with the
same guidelines that I handle any eventualities with the ferts.

I have always had large, multi-pet households.  I have lost 7 cats to feline
leukemia, 3 to feline infectious peritonitis, 3 to kidney/heart failure and
one to complications of hyper-active thyroid disease.  I have also lost 2
dogs to old age, their poor little hearts just finally gave out after a long
life.

The majority of these animals were put out of their misery.  The dogs were
on meds for several years for enlarged hearts.  I feel that if we prolong
the animals life with artificial means (meds, treatments) then we should
also be prepared to use artificial means to end their lives.  My main
guideline is the animal's ability to give and receive love.

When any animal ages, it naturally has life style changes.  They slow down
and cannot due the things they used too.  But I gage the amount of pain they
are in and if that pain is able to be controlled by meds.  I also take into
account the reason for pain or disease.  If it a terminal disease, I am more
reluctant to take any heroic measures.  I measure what kind of life any
treatment would give and how long it will extend that life.  Sometimes there
is no real point in administering treatments.

The first cat I lost to leukemia, I was able to keep alive for 2 years after
the initial diagnoses.  I should have let go at least a year before that.  I
think this is something that all pet owners must experience in order to gage
future decisions.  You have to be fair to the animal.  Put their needs
before your own needs.

Please don't flame me.  I do understand what I am saying, as I have lost
both of my parents to lung cancer.  I have seen up close what heroic
measures can and cannot do.  And I have dealt with dying with people who
could tell me what the treatments really cost them.  And I have seen both of
them tell me the wanted to die.  The heroic measures are sometimes just not
worth the quality of life they leave you with.

Mo' Mags (in memory of Harold and Wanda)