From:
"Regina J. Hart" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 1997 21:39:24 -0500
Hi!

I've been responding to a lot of folks privately so that I can write
lengthier and more detailed posts, but in a desparate effort to get caught
up (and maybe help some other people along the way), I'll post some

ALLERGIES
I know that my asthma is definately aggravated by non-neutered males.
Altered ferrets don't seem to bother me anywhere near as much.

CARPET DIGGING
To keep your ferrets from digging at the carpets and ruining them, try
purchasing some of the clear plastic carpet runner that is available at most
hardware and home stores.  You can usually even buy it by the yard.  Cut it
to fit the favorite digging area, and nail it down over the carpeting.  It
may not be terribly attractive, but it will do the job.  You could do the
same with carpet samples purchased from or donated by a carpet store.

TAIL HAIR LOSS
If your ferret is loosing hair only on his/her tail, look closely at the
tail.  Do you see blackheads and/or flaky yellow skin.  If so, the problem
is most likely not adrenal disease but rather is a non-harmful condition.
Talk to your vet about it.  He or she can probably prescribe a benzoyl
peroxide wash to help clear up the condition.  Be patient; it can take
months to clear up, and it can recur.

TOTALLY FERRET FOOD
So many people have recently said that they would like to purchase Totally
Ferret but they cannot find a local distributor.  You can call Performance
Foods (the manufacturer), and they will let you know if there is a
distributor near you.  You can also order it directly from the manufacturer.
Give them a call at 1-800-843-1738

FERRET HOUSING
Please do not consider housing your ferret in an aquarium.  Most aquariums
are not large enough to comfortably house a ferret, and none are adequately
ventilated.  Your concern should not be keeping your ferret warm enough, but
rather making sure that he does not overheat (especially in the summer).
Ferrets tolerate cool temperatures better than warm (but don't leave him in
a drafty area).  Personally I think it would be more difficult to keep an
aquarium sanitary than a well-maintained cage.  If you cover the cage floors
with linoleum, they are very easy to wipe clean, and you should, of course,
provide a litterbox for the ferret to use as a bathroom (fill it with
pelleted litter for best results).

Along the same lines...

CEDAR AND PINE BEDDING
If you are looking for information/references as to why cedar (and pine)
bedding are unhealthy, check out the well-written article at:
http://www.trifl.org/cedar.html

Best wishes everyone,
Gina the Monkeywrangler
and the Chimps of Mayhem:  Paleface (Bean), Gunnar the Red (Goose), Daniel
Spikey Tiger (Spike), Beau Geste (Bo Bo), Harriet (Hawwiet) and Wienerbutt
(Weenie)