Sat, 1 Feb 1997 11:48:24 -0800
>Yes they are, but I can accept a breeder's justification for the price of
>an animal when it includes such things as yearly genetic testing of breeding
>stock, Nobody we know for any pet does this.

So, what does that prove?  I know literally *hundreds* of people who do this
in dogs and in cats.  Just because you don't move in certain circles, does
not mean they aren't out there.

>pets, especially larger pets, should be bought from breeders if you want
>the best.  But the best isn't for everybody.

Why not??  Do you go out and buy a car that might break down after a month
because you don't want the best?  No, even if you buy a used car, you want
the best value for your money, not just the first conveinient car that comes
along.  I don't show my dog, but I want her to be smart, good looking, and I
want assurance that she will not come down with some preventable crippling
disease before the age of two.  *Everybody* deserves that and they won't get
it from a pet store or irresponsible breeder.

>Honestly how many of us on the list did not gain their first exposure to
>ferrets through a pet store?  We never would have seen ferrets if it wasn't
>for a pet store.  We've been exposed to certain breeds of dogs and cats
>first at pet stores.

Honestly, my first ferrets were rescues.  I'd never seen a ferret in a pet
store at the time.  My exposure to exotic breeds has been through books,
magazines, shows and visiting reputable breeders.  Education and experience
is out there for people who don't just sit back and wait for it to come to
them or close their eyes to it.

Valaria