Date:
Mon, 3 Feb 1997 01:39:16 -0500
A question for all of you experienced breeders out there....

I've heard from many sources how the hobs become smellier and more aggressive
toward other ferrets when they come into season.  BUT, how come I've never
found anything mentioned (at least in my research so far) that describes the
attitude changes that hit the jills?

When I took in the 5 "snowbabies" back on January 6, I had the 2 hobs
neutered within the week.  They mellowed noticeably within 2 weeks - in both
attitude, and odor.  A few days ago I started seeing signs that the jills
were starting to come into season - one obviously so, and the other one not
far behind, and the Vet has confirmed it.

Roxie goes in to be spayed Monday morning - Feb.  3rd - and Mindy will have
her surgery as soon as we clear up a mild respiratory infection with her.
Both jills have been just as sweet and amiable as can be, until now.....

I have never seen ANYbody, human or animal, with a case of PMS as bad as
these girls have!  I expected the increase in odor, but Roxie has also
become positively obnoxious toward any ferret that's not part of her
"immediate family," whom she's now obsessively protective of.  She is
biting, chasing, attacking, and generally trying to make life miserable for
as many of the other ferrets as she can - I've lost track of the number of
times I've had to lock her up for "time out" so that the others can have a
chance to relax.  Mostly now I can only let her out when I'm also in the
room or close by.  Mindy is starting to become this way, also, but she's not
quite as bad - yet.  They're still cuddly sweet with people, but they're
wanting down sooner, are more restless (well, that part I can understand!)
and they're not dancing as much.

So, is this normal for jills?  Or could there potentially be more than just
a hormonal change going on here, that may require special attention?

Many thanks for any info you can give.

Carla S.
WhyNot? Ferrets
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club