From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Mar 1997 16:50:00 -0500
To the poster with concern that others have not made the same call to 8 in 1
in regards to the vitamin A question.

Please realize that if you only give your ferret a drop or two the issue
would be moot... HOWEVER the doseage instructions on the bottle advise
administering 3/4 tsp per day, every day as an additive( unless this has
recently changed).  My opinion is -- this in addition to the food nutrients
the ferret receives does indeed cause a problem.  I have seen several
ferrets after 1 1/2 years of this doseage-- they loked awful, bristly,
broken coats, lackuster and dry flaking skin.  ( If you check with your
beauticians and cosmetologiusts the same thing happens to human hair when
humans consume too much vitamin A.)

Following the discovery and after th owner opted for diluting the ferretone
with olive oil (it did take some time )-- the symptoms did indeed go away,
the ferrets now look great.

I know for one that both myself and another shelter person has made the same
call.  We were told that very same thing.  As far as I can see that is their
standard reply on the subject.  Since our calls were well over a year ago--
how many others do you think hear the same reply?