From:
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 18:37:55 -0800
>From:    Chere McCoy <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: FFDRI Shutdown

AOL has never proven to be an economical approach to reaching the internet.
A lower cost ISP would make more sense.  Some are as little as $9.50 a month
for PPP around here.  Unless the AOL specific chat or boards are needed AOL
is too costly and rather unreliable.  A simple shell login can be even less.
A shell login will give everything but pictures on the web.  Lynx can still
reach most web sites.  Economical appraoches like these should be strongly
considered by financially strapped shelters especially.

>From:    Thomas Howe <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE and ferret math!
>I have been reading up on ECE at ferret central.  Lately I have noticed
>green poop!  About a week ago I found one green poop but then it was gone.

Most probably NOT ECE.  A green stool is a sign of too fast digestion.  ECE
and other intestinal disorders cause diarrhea that can be dark green to
bright green or even tan or orange but it is not a one stool disease.

Stress of nearly any sort including new foods can cause an occaisional green
stool.

>Will the duck soup recipe on ferret central cure ECE or
>do i have to do something else too?

Your ferrets do not need a special diet like duck soup.  But it will not
cure ECE but can help provide nutrition when hard food is too hard or
painful to eat.

Nothing is wrong from your description.  Relax.

>From:    Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE & shows;Snaggletooth ferret

This was a well written note about ECE and shows.  This six months is pretty
critical.  Objections recently though have been about ferrets ECE symptoms
described very incorrectly as influenza that occured far more recently than
6 months.  Contradictions in comments from the source lead to credibility
problems.  We wish everyone would do as well as you did to research with the
more knowledgeable ferret folks (which aren't always the same ones that say
they are) before enterring or taking ferrets to a show.

>From:    Monkey & Kona Schlossberg <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE??

Another post already answered over on the ferret-forum.  To others
who don't benefit from that list check out:
http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/faq/med/green.html
the disease is officially
 "epizootic catarrhal enteritis (of ferrets)". ("Epizootic" refers to a
  disease which is epidemic in animals, "catarrhal" means it's an
  inflammation of a mucous membrane, and  "enteritis" means it affects
  the intestine.)
Quote from that page - credit to Pam Greene and Dr. Bruce Williams.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: biting, laughter, congrats, perfume, grinding, cage, sympathy, ECE

>We feel sorry for those who have not been able to attend shows because of
>the fear of ECEattacking their elderly or sick ones, and we relate because
>that has been our reality for a while.  How DO shows handle this?

Unfortunately shows rely heavily on the good intentions of exhibitors.  Some
shows have been very fortunate.  Others not.  ECE, mange, and CDV have been
known to be spread at shows.

Most shows institute a vet check at the door where a veterinarian
(optimally) or very knowledgeable person (not as good) or someone who isn't
necessarily as knowledgeable as they thought (not good) examines each ferret
enterring the show hall.

It is up to ferret owners to prevent others from handling their ferrets.  At
AFA and independant shows no one except the owner and judges need to touch
ferrets.  The judges disinfect themselves and their show tables between
every pair of ferrets.  At these shows there hasn't been a noticible amount
of disease spread.  None that we personally are aware of in several years.

We understand your caution about breeders.  Even some with "good" reputations
have been indicated as sources for new infections.  Never from us by the way.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]

[Moderator's note: I'm afraid Bill's comment about AOL might start a
discussion that's not appropriate for the FML.  (After all, the FML has
593 subscribers from AOL!)  Please remember to keep the list on the topic
of ferrets.  Thanks!  BIG]