From:
Alicia K Drakiotes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 10:26:28 -0500
At age 2 to 3 years we have seen many ferrets which have required adrenal
surgery.  I think this is becoming a bit more commonplace these days.  The
lack of nutrients MAY be somewhat attributable to the problem, but the
researchers have told me via the phone they feel it is a genetic issue.

As far as the skin condition, this also is not unusual, the skin becomes dry
and itchy, when scratched they get sores which scab, this too should correct
itself with surgery-- in the meantime give them some vitamin E applied
directly on the skin to promote healing.

Gina,, you have done nothing to harm your ferrets in my eyes.  The adrenal
condition cannot be passed.  I feel strongly from the descriptions you gave
that the ferrets are merely suffering from adrenal symptoms-- not a
contagious parasite.  If you have doubts have your vet check and scrape--
that is the way to determine any possibility of ionfection.

Give those kids all the help you can.  The surgery will allow them to regrow
their fur and be comfortable.  That is MY OPINION.

Alicia
a shelter Mom