From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 17:31:36 -0500
Bumper Stickers:
* Practice random ankle-biting and senseless dooking.
* I'd rather be asleep in the bottom drawer.
* I'd rather be stealing socks.

Educational event:
On Saturday, Charlie, George, Emma, Nadia, Harry and Prince Charming
delighted about 50 Brownies at an Animal Awareness Day in Marshfield,
Massachusetts.  This fun and educational event was organized by a teenage
Girl Scout as part of her requirement for an advanced badge.  The Brownies
(grades 1-3) were divided into 4 small groups and rotated to different
exhibits, including a teddy bear clinic and a presentation by a vet.  They
also watched a very good video (narrated by a young girl) about being a
responsible pet owner.  Each girl was given an Iams shopping bag for
handouts.

The 3 human and 6 fuzzy representatives from Mass.  Ferret Friends gave a
short presentation on ferrets and answered questions.  The ferrets spent
their time wandering in and out of all the shopping bags, sniffing each
other, and sleeping.  Everyone was allowed to pet the little guys (unless
someone had a cold).  Each girl went home with a one page handout on ferret
care as well as Pam Greene's wonderful mini-FAQ.  There were also some
adults and older kids present, as well as reporters from 2 local papers.
(Nadia shamelessly made one of the reporters fall in love with her by giving
him ferret kisses.)

The Brownies also met representatives from a rabbit rescue group as well as
exotic frogs, a musk turtle, a very handsome king snake and a lovely spotted
gecko.  At the end of the day, each Brownie received an Animal Care badge.
This was a wonderful opportunity for kids and adults to learn about ferrets
as well as other animals.

Thanks to fellow MaFF members Catherine Bell and Karen Trask for sharing
this enjoyable afternoon!

-- Ronnie DiComo
Ralphie ("did you bring me home some animal crackers?")
Harrry ("that was fun but I'm tired!")
Prince Charming ("zzzzzzzzzz")
Merlin ("can I go next time? I bet Brownies taste good!")