From:
"Gwen M. Daley" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Feb 1997 09:32:43 +0000
Jim and Laura worte:
>What I'm concerned about is how the ferrets will do away from home and away
>from us????  Will they be stressed???  Will they remember me after 6 days???
>We've never had to leave them like this and I'm pretty worried.  What
>experiences have you all had about this?

Ferrets are very  resistant to melancholy - the world is too full of
fascinating things for them to worry about missing us. Don't worry, they'll
be happy to see you back, but they'll have plenty to entertain them at the
shelter!

We split up our trio one summer when I took a temporary job in Texas.  My
big male, Mo, came with me, and the two little girls stayed with the SO. Mo
and I had a fun trip down, and he really enjoyed chasing wall lizards around
(he seemed very preturbed when they would suddenly start running up the
walls!).  When we were all reunited - after 2 months - the ferrets went
right back to being the way they were before the separation, and after an
initial period of cuddling, my little females went about their busy lives -
like I had never left.

Contrary to what I would like to believe, while ferrets do love us, the
world moves way too fast for them to worry about us to much when we are
missing...

Gwen

Gwen M. Daley
http://www.vt.edu:10021/G/gdaley/gmd.html