From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 1997 12:38:23 +0000
Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to tell you about a member of the FML family that you don't
hear a lot about.  She's mainly a lurker, a regular reader.  She lives in
Houston and let me con......I mean she offered to take over the Houston Area
Ferret Association when I moved for school.  She has done a great job with
the club and kept it alive *and* growing.  I cannot begin to thank her and
her husband Dave for all that they have done.

But the main reason I am writing is to tell about her recent victory on the
ferret front.  When a newspaper article in Houston generated several hundred
calls to the local shelters and at the same time a shelter got hit with ece,
she volunteered to take some of the ferrets that came in.  She found homes
for some, but there is one that is still with her.  With taking in the
ferrets, she got hit with ece which was hard as she has a 6 year old, Miss
Charlie.  Miss Charlie and a shelter kid, Perry, both got very ill.  Noni
stayed up with them, feeding and medicating until they got better.  But
Perry lost use of his hind end, we think from loss muscle mass and general
weakness.

To combat the hopefully temporary paralysis in his hind end Noni developed a
program of physical therapy, from her training as a sports
medicine/rehabilitation therapist.  She started out swimming Perry in the
tub and doing daily range of motion movement with his hind legs.  Then she
moved him on to "mountain" climbing and getting him to stand up and take a
few steps.  Well, yesterday, Perry rewarded her several weeks of work by
going up the stairs on his on and then doing a happy dance!!!!  He was so
proud of himself and so was Noni.  Now Perry follows her around and makes
his way up the stairs all the time.  He still doesn't always use one leg,
but Noni just taps on that hip and he puts it under him and tries it.

I just wanted everyone to know what patience and love can do.  And I wanted
for everyone to know a little bit about a wonderful lady and friend.

Noni, Perry says "Thank You" and I want to say it too for all the cards,
and support and love you have given me.

Maggie Mae