From:
Erin Hanson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Feb 1997 08:14:45 -0800
Ok.  A couple of days ago, I wrote in saying that my oldest ferret, Codo,
had dropped about half her body weight and I was going to get a blood
testfor her.  I have gotten the results of her blood test and I don't really
know what it all means, although the vet tried to explain it to me.

First, she is anemic.  The vet. said the normal range is between 47% and
51%, and hers is at 36%.  ( I don't know what these percentages mean, but
maybe some of you do).  The vet thinks that maybe she was not "fixed"
properly and there is estrogen being produced in her body.  She said that
could be the reason she is anemic.  The vet said that Codo could also have
the begginings of an adrenal gland tumor, that could be causing all of this.

Second, her kidneys are producing a high amount of creatnin (sp?).  The vet.
said the normal amount is .6, and Codo's is 1.  I don't know what that
indicates, but the vet said that it could be because of the above problems,
since the kidneys are responsible for red-blood cell production.

She also suggested that maybe Codo has lymphoma (sp?).  (Whatever that is).
But she doesn't think so.

Well, what should I do??  The vet. says she can operate on Codo, and look
for left-over reproductive parts that could be causing the estrogen, and
while she's in there, it would be quite easy for her to see an adrenal gland
tumor.  The problem is this procedure is probably tons of money and I am a
struggling college student with no extra money.  I know the vet. could set
up payment plans if I pleaded with her, but I don't know if this is
necessary.  Someone please help!!  I don't know what to do!

Thanks in advance!
Erin