From:
Cerise Welter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 15:53:43 -0500
This is my first post to FML, and I have a million questions.  My hubbie,
daughter and I are opening a ferret shelter in the Midland/Odessa, TX area.
I watch helplessly as people buy ferrets at the pet store with little or no
knowledge about the critters they are taking home.  We decided to give them
(ferrets) a chance in the event that their owners get bored with their new
charges.  I contacted the Animal Control, Fish & Game, Park & Wildlife, and
Animal Shelter in our area.  They notified me that they were destroying all
ferrets because they thought they were unable to vaccinate ferrets from
rabies.  Now comes the job of educating them all.  I need to know as much as
possible about starting a shelter.  I pretty much have the legal ends tied
up, but the logistics of such an endeavor are still a mystery.

I'm sure finances will be an issue.  How do shelters go about supporting
themselves.  What with elder ferret issues, injured ferrets, feeding,
housing, etc.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I am usually in
shock after an average trip to the vet, I can only imagine what bills are
like for shelter owners.

I have a question for ferret owners as well.  I have a 21 week old sable who
broke her elbow.  She went to the vet and he anesthsized her and put a cast
on her tiny arm.  She of course was out of it in moments.  Her arm is too
tiny for pinning, and this procedure would lock up her elbow permanently.  I
decided to let it heal naturally, and pray for the best.  I keep her in her
pet taxi rather than her 3 story condo as our male ferret likes to get too
rough with her.  Has anyone else dealt with broken bones in ferrets?  How
much play did you allow?  She acts like nothing is wrong and even does some
stupid stunts, I panic and put her back in the taxi.  She doesn't use her
arm much, but when she does I grimmace.  Ferrets are much too active to keep
quiet and motionless.  Any advice would be appreciated.

I certainly do appreciate this ferret list and all the good stories, info,
and advice.  Keep up the good work.

Elmo & Kewpie's mommie, Cerise.