From:
"David J. Ellis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 08:33:03 -0500
An FML correspondant asked...

>But the problem I have is with the suggestion of donations, and then the
>understand, if the shelter owner needs money for the medical care of
>Gabriel, how can they afford to go to Florida --- does this make sense?

Maybe "Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>" is assuming that the shelter is
also the source of personal income? I do not believe this is the case.

I'm not a shelter operator or owner (or connected with one save for the
occasional donation).  I guess I view shelters in much the same way as I
would view a small business, albeit they are generally "not for profit"
operations and often seem to be "for loss" operations.  Thus I expect that
the shelter finances are independent of the personal finances.

Having said that, I don't find it too difficult to allow that the "business"
can have a degree of separation from the operator.  i.e. The operator is
still allowed to have some kind of independent personal life, if they can
manage it.  (Those that I know also work in other jobs, presumable to
provide family income.)

Is it a requirement of being a shelter operator that you must forego a
personal life?