Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 1997 00:23:16 +0000
From:
Janice Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
To Leslie and Bell,
The following recipe came to me from an experienced shelter owner\operator
of over 11 years and who has personally treated several insulinoma ferrets
over time:
1-2 can Deliver 2.0 (from pharmacy) or whatever you choose like;
    Ensure Plus, Sustical, Resource Plus, or Boost.
1\4 cup Pedialyte (generic from walmart is just as good)
1 scoop Baby formula  ( Soybee baby formula or similar lactose free)
Sprinkle Brewer's yeast (NOT BAKING YEAST) You get this Brewer's yeast
from a health food store and get the debittered kind!  It is a brown powder.
1\8 - 1\2 cup Oatmeal baby cereal

Stir till well mixed.  Warm a small portion, about 2 ounces ( the size of
a small baby food jar-these work great to store for individual servings.
Small tupperware or similar types of containers work well too) Warm in a
separate container than what you feed in.  Stir well with your finger to
check for HOT SPOTS-BE CAREFUL.  If still hot blow till luke warm(like
for a human baby).  Store remainder in fridge and reheat for each
feeding.  Feed 4-6 times a day if possible in addition to allowing them
free choice at their regular fod.  Other ferrets in the home can eat
this, it won't hurt them and is probably good for all.  It should keep 4
or 5 days safely in fridge.

I am currently using a different recipe for my 6 yr. old insulinomic, and
she is doing great so far.  Her energy picked up and she is very alert and
playful and has had no episodes of wretching since she has been supplemented
with "recipe":

1 can of Science Diet A-D (can get only at vets) it is the canine-feline
      in a small can.
1-4th finely ground dry ferret food (Totally ferret, Iams, Science Diet,
      or whatever high quality growth (kitten) formula you use.
1\4th teaspoon Brewer's yeast
FRUIT flavored pedialyte(generic from Walmart) but must be fruit
flavored!!  I use about 1\2 to 1 cup of the pedialyte and this is a
decision you will have to make according to how "soupy you think your
ferret will want his meal.  Experiment a little.  You may have to coax
him\her to get started, but use what ever method works best and which
formula the ferret likes best.

Let me know if I can be of any other help.  I try to watch FML every day for
people who share common problems and pass on what I have learned.  I
personally think that is the greatest need ferrets and their parents have is
for PEOPLE TO GO ON AHEAD AND SHARE!!!  Love from Janice and the 7 little
dwarfs in Kansas.  913-738-4060