Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Thu, 16 Jan 1997 09:48:06 -0500
From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Biting 14 week old kit: Keep up the good work.  Sometimes it takes longer to
see progress with nip training a kit.  Remember when you're working with
animals that they can sort of read your mind.  You must have absolute
confidence in yourself.  This applies to any kind of animal.  When you are
on a horse's back, he KNOWS if you're scared to make that jump, and if
you're scared OH MY GOD what's on the other side--he's not going over
either.  You must carry your horse through the ride on sheer confidence.
The same goes for ferrets.  I feel wearing gloves sends the exact wrong
message.  Better to not handle at all than to handle with gloves.  The next
tip I have is go ahead and let her bite you some.  It doesn't really hurt
that much, even a hard bite, if you control it.  This will give you some
practice at detaching the ferret without hurting either of you.  (Swamp,
maybe this is a good time to repost your special method?  I can't do it
justice.) Also, you will be ready to administer the predetermined
punishment.  My favorite is ending the game with a scruff and confinement to
cage.  We're still working on our one-year-old nose biter.  She's improving.
I'm considering waiting until she's in a sleepy mood and letting her lick
ferretone from my face.  I'm not sure I have that much guts, though.  If I
ever try that experiment, I'll report back.  Good luck.

Psychotic screaming fear biter: I really think you ought to get that little
guy to a vet.  It sounds like he might be in some real pain.  Otherwise my
only suggestion is to try whatever level of interaction does not cause him
to panic.  If that means slipping treats through the bars of the cage while
he's sleeping using boxes and tubes to move him around, then try it.  Maybe
he will regain trust after a while.  Again, I think the gloves might be too
scary for him if it's not completely necessary.  I'm sorry you're having so
much trouble with this so soon after you lost Echo.  If he really is
psychotic, euthanasia may really be the only humane option, but do get him
to a vet.

Stephanie:  All my fingers and toes are crossed for your little embryos!

Melissa..er, Potpie: Stop!  I can't be laughing this loud at work!  (I'm
falling out of my chair!  A loving and supportive rabbit chasing team!
Can't...stop...giggling...)

-Catherine

(Mithril has learned how to be a "mugger."  We think she must have heard
about the "mugger bears" at Yellowstone who used to scare the crap out of
backpackers who would then drop their packs.  She mugs us by climbing our
clothing rapidly towards our faces until we surrendur whatever we are
eating.  Recent aquisitions:  coffee, herbal tea, and cabbage.  YUM!)