From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Mar 1997 14:31:55 GMT
>From:    Ellen Kaplan Goffin <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ferrets & rabbits
>Does anyone have experience with ferrets AND rabbits?
>Do they get along?

Ellen,
British rabbits would soon make short work of a rabbit.  One of my recent
rescues involved removing a stray ferret from a rabbit hutch.  Both
silver/grey rabbits were dead and the ferret had made a meal on one of them.

Maybe American ferrets might have lost some of their hunting instincts but I
wouldn't like to try it.  Rats and mice and other small mammals would also
be considered as a ferrets next meal.  Some ferrets also consider frogs to
be a delicacy.  I wouldn't even think of putting any of my 35 ferrets near a
rabbit - I know what the outcome would be!

The Romans used ferrets over 2000 years ago to help them capture rabbits and
other pests.  In the middle ages in England ferrets were used by warreners
to flush rabbits from their burrows.

Sheila

http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS