From:
Rob Adlers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Feb 1997 11:36:57 -0800
Howdy everyone,

Katherine: RE: Fat ferret.

3 lb. male a fat ferret?  No way.  Ask Stan S. about one of his boys....
5.5 lbs... now, THAT'S big.  He's like that in the winter time.  He looks
like a badger.

Check your fert's diet and just run the kid around daily for exercise.
Winter weight isn't a bad thing... but keeping them fit is important.

Now, I NEED HELP!  <grin?>

We have a new addition to the family.  Jill.  Kate found her in PJ's pet
center near our place in Toronto.  She was brought in by an owner who's kid
became allergic to her.  Jill is 2, and is a smaller female (looks just like
Mindy) that has been an only pet with a kid as her playmate.  Character?
Frightful under stress, cute, cuddly and playful.  I've never met a ferret
who is so whiney when scared.  Unfortunately for her, the previous owner had
been a bit naive and had cedar shavings and no litter box for her cage.  She
was given a clean bill of health by the vet and she appears to be hitting
the litter box at a 50% ratio.

The problem.

Lola, Mindy and Gabby.

Kate and I had to break up a beating session this morning.  Lola and Mindy
were using Jill as a tug-of-war rope.  The poor kid was whimpering for 20
minutes in Kate's and my arms thereafter.  Gabby is the least offended by
her... but Lola is being a royal B.  I've never seen such persistance, anger
and aggression out of Lola.  Mind you, Mindy and Gabby did the same thing to
Lola when she was young, so we've wondered whether this was some sort of
"hazing" ritual.  Kate and I are going to have 1 ferret out with her at a
time, starting with Gabby... over the next while.  I'm aware that Jill will
have to establish her rank and place in the group.... but is there any way
we can get her into this clique group without being terrorized so much?
I've never seen a fearful ferret before until I met Jill.  I don't want her
to be permenantly terrified of her new sisters if I can avoid it.

Rob and Kate Adlers in Toronto, Canada with the fuzzbutts:

   Mindy - "Mom, why does Jill scream all the time?  No matter, *chomp!*"
   Lola - "Where is that twerp!  Live in my house will she!  No way!"
   Gabby - "God Jill's fast.  I can't keep up to her."
   Jill - "Hi Sammy, Hi mom, dad... Lola... LOLA?!  MOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM!"
   Samson - "I don't get it.  All this screaming lately.  Ferrets."