From:
Sheila Crompton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 1997 15:21:55 GMT
I have seen most diseases mentioned on the FML but not Aleutian Disease.  Do
any ferrets in USA get AD.  The most recent info.  I have for CEP testing of
ferrets in the Wessex area of England is for 1993 where 19 ferrets showed
positive out of 346 tested.

Most cases have been confined to central southern England although there
have been several isolated outbreaks of AD in Berkshire, London,
Oxfordshire, Lancashire and it has been reported in Northampton.  The Wessex
Ferret Club still carry out AD testing.  Liverpool and Bedford Welfares have
submitted ferrets for testing all of which proved negative, however, I don't
think they have any ferrets tested over the past couple of years - Betty and
Mary don't like the stress and pain the ferrets are put through during the
test.  I haven't had any of my ferrets tested - I don't want to put my
ferrets through it either as I don't breed from any of them.

Just got some bad news yesterday - the company that produced Kavac D has
been taken over and they won't be making any more:-( The safest canine
distemper vaccine for ferrets in the UK and they won't be manufacting any
more.  The recommended vaccine has caused deaths in ferrets through adverse
reaction and quite frankly I am loth to use a vaccine that isn't 100% safe.
Has anyone any ideas how we can persuade the company to continue producing
the 'safe' vaccine.

Sheila

http://www.btinternet.com/~sheila/ferrets.htm
Bolton Ferret Welfare & Newsletter Editor of the
National Ferret Welfare Society of the UK
The opinions expressed by me are not necessarily those of the NFWS