From:
Margaret Zick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Feb 1997 20:36:27 +0000
Hey Everyone,

Paul Ellis mentioned a footless ferret he saw in a magazine.  I think he
probably saw my ferret, Sampson.  I took the picture for Ferrets USA for an
article that Trish Curtis wrote on the proper type of bedding for ferrets.

The main reason we did submit his picture was to get this type of reaction.
Everyone needs to understand how dangerous bare wire in cages can be.  And I
agree with Paul, there is a real need for ferret cages that are not made
this way.

Sampson was given to a shelter in Houston along with his littermates.  A
couple there had a breeding pair that also eventually went to the shelter.
The kits were about 5 months old when rescued.  To clean them up for the
shelter, the former owners took the cage to the driveway and hosed off the
kits through the wire.  When rescued Sampson's foot was already gone.  The
shelter was told he was born that way.  None of the kits had been socialized
to humans and all were biters.  They were adopted out to experienced ferret
owners.

When I heard about Sampson I knew he should live with me.  I had him checked
out and my vet said that the foot was missing due to injury, not birth.  All
the kits bit faces only, we don't know why.  Sampson has pierced my lower
lip several times.  He is better.  He started out hanging on, now he just
occasionally bites and although he still draws blood, it is no longer gaping
wounds.

The funny thing is, the whole time he has lived with me, he has been the
biggest lap baby.  He will let me love on him forever.  They only thing I
have to be careful about is giving him kisses.  Yes, I put myself in harms
way, but I believe it is the only way to show him that I won't hurt him and
that I am trying to trust him.  It is a *very* hard thing to do and not
everyone can do this.  I do not think myself better or anyone worse because
of this, we are all just different.

Sampson now has 18 brothers and sisters, whose cages are lined with
indoor/outdoor carpeting.  They have their own room and give me more love
than I can give back.  He always keeps me company when I clean their litter
boxes, following me to each one and laying next to me.  He is such a sweet
boy and he got along with all the others right from the start.  He moves
just as fast as any of them (except for Miss Stella) and climbs with the
best.  His lack of foot doesn't slow him down at all and he even scratches
himself with the stump.  He is a big boy and has just recently decided to
relax enough for me to tickle his belly during play.  And he dances so
cute!!  Yes, I do like him just a little.  :-)

Mo' MAggie and the MAd MIzzou MOb