Date:
Sat, 1 Feb 1997 14:26:55 -0500
Hello CA UPDATE folks,

I just received word from Jan Goldsmith's office that he's been appointed to
the Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee, the very committee our bill will
need to pass through on its way to the Assembly floor!  And, the Chair of
that Committee, Mike Machado, also supports legalization as a co-author.

There's other good news on the legislative front.  In terms of the Assembly,
we have12 co-authors so far, and 5 joint author's.  Co-authorship is a
wonderful sign of support and joint-authorship is even stronger!  Senator
Quentin Kopp is a joint-author in the Senate.  Joint authorship is as if the
bill belongs to that member as well.

The Senate natural resources committee (which killed our legalization and
regulatory bill twice in the last session) also looks better with its new
composition but is still regarded by all those involved to be our toughest
hurdle.  Californians, a strong vote of approval for our bill in the
Assembly will help send a message to the Senate, but all of you need to find
out who your State Senators are now, so that you will be prepared to write
them when the time comes.  Our long fight will be won or lost in that
legislative body.

All of us need to consider the fight this year to be the most important
we've seen.  Many things are coming together to make this effort our best
shot yet but each of YOU are the keys to its success.  Don't be passive
about your involvement (I'm not talking about being agressive, that's
definitely out!), but you must write those letters when the time comes.  Ask
friends and family members to write as well.  Get co-workers involved.  Help
us put flyers and in pet stores and veterinarians offices.  If you care
about legalizing ferrets, our best shot is this session!  Don't sit this one
out because the elements that are in place for possible success won't be
there next time.  Both Jan and Senator Kopp are leaving the legislature at
the end of this session.

On another matter, I've been out of town for a couple of weeks, and I guess
my comments to someone about my disappointment in financial contributions to
this effort made it into the FML.  I'm afraid I've been so busy trying to
catch up that I've yet to peruse a couple of weeks of news, but I want to
say a couple of things about Californians for Ferret Legalizations' effort
to raise money.  First of all, I want to sincerely thank those who have
contributed.  Each of you will receive a personal thank you (on a ferret
notecard of course).  Anyone donating anonymously I'll have to thank in this
column.

One of the largest contributions so far, was, in fact anonymous, and
consisted of two crisp Ben Franklins from the person who apparently posted
on the FML (I can't remember who that was, if you want to call me so I can
personally thank you, if not,-- thanks wholeheartedly for your generous
support!)

Secondly, while I appreciate the contributions in the sense that it will
help pay expenses we incurr to promote this issue in the press and via our
lobbyist, one line of the post said something about "supporting Jeanne".
Hey guys, I have news for you, this issue isn't about me, it's about an
estimated 250,000 of you and well over 500,000 ferrets.  It's about folks
like Brent Utley doing jail time, or Ilona Maggard paying several thousand
dollars for having the kindness to try to reunite a lost ferret with its
owner.  It's about 11 year old Brian Shepard whose only pet was taken from
him at our border, a fine welcome for a little boy who had just left his
dying mother in Canada.  It's about the four healthy ferrets in Contra Costa
euthanized a couple of years ago because the agency felt they "didn't have
to work with ferret rescue," and the countless others that suffer here
needlessly.

If you want to give, and I hope you will, you're helping yourselves.  It's
the same with the letters, written or not, you're helping, or hurting,
yourselves.  I can't write for you and I can't spend myself into bankruptcy.
I'm giving 100% of what I can possibly give in terms of time and money.  Ask
yourself if you're giving 100% too.  Or is it more like 10%?  Or is it
nothing?

Let me tell you about a recent conversation I had with a ferret fan in
Southern CA.  This man has taken it upon himself to work with the local city
council to get a letter of support.  So far, the three council member's he's
spoken with all support legalization.  In addition this ferret fan has also
spoken to the local police department and discovered that they have no
intention of enforcing the ban.  His intentions are to get a letter from
that agency as well.  And, if that weren't enough, he's offered to donate a
domain name to the Golden State Ferret Society who has so generously hosted
the Californians for Ferret Legalization Web Page.  This man, like many
others of you, is doing something positive.  Theres just not enough folks
involved yet at this level.  Each one of you needs to do committ more time
and resources if you want to beat DFG.

It comes down very simply to this: if you're OK about being classified as a
criminal in this state, if you're OK about possible confiscation of your
ferrets, if you're OK about the fact that a spiteful neighbor or rejected
ex-husband, wife, boyfriend, or girlfriend can hurt you in ways unimaginable
in other states, fine, do nothing.  If these things offend and anger you,
get involved, help out.

You already know we need financial help.  Additional ways to help out are to
volunteer to distribute flyers in your area to vets, pet stores and other
areas.  I've held off printing flyers until our bill has a number (most
likely the last couple of weeks in Feb.) Call, or e-mail me with your
address, and I'll send you a few when they're printed.  They way they work,
however, means that you must know the name and address of your local state
representatives because the flyer will have an area for that information to
be filled in.  You will then need to copy those forms and distribute them.
The flyers will have the bill number and ask recipients to write letters of
support to the Assemblymember and/or Senator below.  So, you will need to
donate copying expenses and take the time to distribute the information.
Please let me know ASAP if you can help.  I already have addresses from some
of you, but, there are many others areas where we need help.

Sincerely,

Jeanne Carley
Californians for Ferret Legalization
415 851-3750