From:
Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Jan 1997 10:03:41 -0500
Edward Lipinsky described a fascinating hunt involving two ferrets and a
red-tailed hawk.  First, I'd like to say that as far as I know, red tailed
hawks are quite commonly used in the sport of "falconing." In fact, I think
you are supposed to start as a beginner with a red tailed hawk.  (Someone
please correct me if I'm wrong.) Then after years of practice with the hawk,
you might graduate to a falcon.

I just wanted to say that in the State of Michigan, no concessions are made
for the falconer with respect to hunting with ferrets.  I have seen the
regulations.  I don't know how it is in Washington, but "for the benefit of
the hawk" sounds kind of questionable to me.  shrug shrug.  He might have
had permission by virtue of being with a government agency.

I think the mink rancher euthanized the mink by wringing their necks for
economic reasons.  Veterinarians usually administer euthanasia by injection,
and having assisted at many such sessions, I can tell you it's fairly fast,
and seems fairly merciful.

Finally, why does Sebastian's tail smell like grape Kool-Aid????  We have
no such thing in the house.

-Catherine