From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Dec 1996 15:13:01 -0500
Hi everyone!

I didn' t save my FML, but the person who posted about the problems with
getting a ferret from animal control or the SPCA, I have been there.  I have
to pay to get any ferret out of Va Beach Animal Control.  Granted, it is
only $10.00, but I have to pay that for each ferret.  Do I mind?  Not
really, because I could NEVER work there and do the things that they do, and
it does help pay for food & medical care.  On the other hand, I do not have
to pay to get them out from the Va Beach SPCA or Norfolk, or even from
Chesapeake Animal Control.  I guess its just an individual policy and to me,
the most important part is getting the animals away from there, so I gladly
pay the ten bucks.

I have also had problems with their knowledge of ferrets and their care, but
we are working on that.  One of the environmental Health inspectors has been
working closely with us to set up guidelines for taking care of ferrets
while at the shelter.  I also have downloaded the FAQ's ( thanks Pam!) and
distributed them among the shelters to help.  The biggest thing I have to
keep remembering is that a good relationship with these bureaus guarantees
that I will continue to pick up these animals, and that's really what its
all about, right?

Patience is the key with the bureacrats, and I just shrug my shoulders,
shell out more money and keep saying, "its for the ferrets, its for the
ferrets".  Its sorta my personal mantra now!

Happy ferreting!!

Lisa