From:
Diana Bachman Frosty Paws Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 09:57:11 -0500
I caught up on some of my FML reading, and wanted to take this opportunity
to respond to a couple of previous posts.

Sheena Staples response was right on target!!  (you GO girl!!) I did have
much more to add before I read that post, thanks Sheena!  I would also like
to add, that I was also at that show, and I was a judges steward all day
long at that show.  I didn't see any judges "tossing ferrets around".  I did
see a judge playing with a ferret he found particularly playful and
endearing.  However, I will say that I did hear a comment from an exhibitor
about one particular judge being " rough".  Perhaps this is what you
witnessed.  Some ferrets (kits especially) get unruly in the show ring,
squirming, biting, and so forth.  In these cases, judges need to be much
more firmer with these animals than the laid- back ferrets.  I have attended
over 30 ferret shows, (AFA, LIFE, FURO, Independent, etc) and can honestly
say that except for 1 or 2 incidences, I don't feel my ferrets were ever
"manhandled" by the judges.

As far as being disappointed with the size of the show, I will say that it
WAS much smaller than the AFA Expo Show held in early Feb/March.  It should
be noted that the fall show circuit is EXTREMELY busy, and from Sept until
Nov there was a ferret show every weekend almost.  Now I don't know about
you, but I am not a bank, and I do have other expenses than going to ferret
shows all the time.  ( I had just been to CT and Mi for shows earlier that
month) I usually show at least 8-10 ferrets per show, but only showed 2 at
the AFA show, because, quite frankly, I just didn't have the money.  Talking
with other breeders and show goers, they were all in the same boat.  Perhaps
you should go to several different ferret shows before you make such harsh
comments.

As far as too much emphasis being placed on "show quality and points"... as
a breeder, quality is very important to me.  I am striving to produce
quality animals, with good body structure, excellent temperaments, and
healthy, long lives.  If your animals consistently win ribbons and awards,
it gives creedence to the fact that your animals ARE first-rate.  I
currently have over 15 Best in Shows to my credit, so I must be doing
something right!  The alter class, while still using points as a criteria,
is judged more for a pet/companion animal.  Also, many sanctioning groups
offer specialty classes for shelters/rescues, handicapped ferrets, and so
on.  These classes aren't scored for "points", but the owners win ribbons
and bragging rights.

I invite you to attend other shows to get a good all-around feel for ferret
shows.  There are good, bad, & great shows.  While I will agree with you
that the Nov AFA show wasn't a great show (especially in regards to size),
it was by no means a bad show.  Trust me, I can tell you some stories on
some BAD shows.

bad about your girls being out of sync with everyone else.  ALL my girls are
out of sync!!  I have 3 girls expecting over New Years, and possibly 2 more
in late Jan.  I have just taken 5 others out of season, and have more coming
in!!  (And I DON'T have flourescent lighting!!)

Just my .02 worth, folks!!

Diana Bachman
Frosty Paws Ferrets