From:
Tracy Tunnison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Nov 1996 23:36:12 -0500
>From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: About ear-mites -- confusing!

Melissa and I have emailed privately about this also since Pepita was one of
my kits.  I took her mother in to be checked and she was negative for ear
mites.  I should point out that my vet/boss felt just by looking at her ears
she probably *did* have ear mites, however, when the ear swab was looked at
under the microscope, there was no evidence of ear mites at all.  No mites,
no eggs.  Many vets feel that just looking at the ears is enough to diagnose
ear mites and in many cases they are probably right, but this can lead to
unneccesary medicine and torturing <ggg> your poor ferret with ear
treatments.  So, just a word of caution here, be sure your vet actually
finds ear mites, not just debris that could be from ear mites before you lay
out more money for medicine and have to go through possible weeks (depends
on the meds you're given) of treatment.  Not to mention poor Melissa (whose
vet only looked with an otoscope) worrying about her other pets contracting
ear mites.

>From:    Elizabeth Draus <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Spaying stuff
>Is it standard for the vet to not give the rabies vaccine on this visit?

Nope, you spelled it right :) Personally, I don't like to give the rabies
and distemper vaccines at the same time, it increases (IMO) the likelihood
of reaction.  My Cooter had a reaction last year (actually in April 95, I
couldn't bring myself to vaccinate him til recently, I was chicken...) when
given both vaccines.  This time (last Monday) I prepped him with an
injection of Benadryl 10 minutes before giving him the distemper.  I'll wait
about a week or two before I'll take him in again to get his rabies.  Your
vet was correct about the aplastic anemia as long as your baby wasn't in
heat for a prolonged period (which it sounds like she wasn't :)) so don't
let that worry you.

>her vulva is still swollen.  It that normal?!?  I'm really really really
>really worried!  None of my ferret books cover that.  Please help!!!!

It can take up to a week for the vulva to start shrinking back down to
normal.  You should start to see it turn whiter then start to shrivel in a
few days or so.

>From:    Kylie Preisig <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fleas and kits
>We currently have a litter of three week old kits, and both they and their
>mother have fleas.

Can't remember what it's called, but there is a roll-on flea treatment you
can use on kits.  It's actually safe for newborn puppies and kittens so
should be fine on 3 week old kits.  It was carried at a vet I used to work
at, I could try to get ahold of them on Friday if you really need it fast or
just ask your vet, they should know what I'm talking about.  As far as I've
heard (and everyone knows I don't know everything :)) it's the only flea
treatment safe at such a young age.

Tracy
Mid-Michigan Ferrets and Rescue
"Where the Fun Starts!"