From:
"Juliana Quadrozzi - Georgia Domestic Ferret Association (GDFA)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Nov 1996 03:06:12 -0500
>From:    Elizabeth Draus <[log in to unmask]>
>any personal experience with descenting, whether or not it decreases their
>scent

I've been living w/rescued weasels for going on 10 yrs.  Scented, descented,
there's no difference unless there's a ferret-to-ferret difference of
opinion or the weasels hurt or scared out of it wits.  Once their *fixed*
(spayed/neutered) the fertuitous aroma goes away.  Descenting DOES NOT
eliminate ferret odor.

I did read an AFA newsletter article recently by a vet (I can dig it out if
anyone's interested) who says she did see some problems develop, later on in
life, in the anal glands of ferrets that hadn't been descented.  She feels
there may be some MEDICAL merit to descenting.  Through the years, & 21
personal frits (not to mention dozens of fosters), only Gus & Little Bit
had anal gland problems - 1 impacted & 1 infected - BUT THEY WERE BOTH
(MARSHALLS) DESCENTED.  What's wrong w/this picture?

Juliana & the fabric softener fritters
Frodo, Rocks *I don't smell, & I haven't poofed in a looooooooong time*,
Anola Gay, SNAFU, FUBAR, Tabu, Chaos & Tuxedo *I dont' smell & I don't poof
either*