From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Nov 1996 10:37:51 -0500
We've all heard the usual reasons that ferrets are banned in various places.
One of the "hazards" of maintaining the FAQ is the odd questions I sometimes
get (I'm sure I'm not the only one).  On a light note, here are a couple of
the funnier dangers people have written me about.

* Ferrets are risky pets, one person said, because if you don't clean their
litter pans often enough, in ten or twelve years something in them would
"destroy your lungs".  (Sure, ammonia can be bad, but there isn't that much
in a litter pan... although perhaps if you didn't scoop it for 12 years...)

* I'm writing a school report on ferret behavior, said another.  In
particular about the fact that they're illegal some places because they are
easily trained to break into people's houses.  (Just be sure not to hide
your jewelry in your sock drawer.)

(If either of these folks are on the list, please don't be offended; you
can't help what you were told, and I'm glad you asked and found out it's not
true.)

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>