From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Nov 1996 00:13:00 -0800
>From:    Irinia Turner <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Legalize Ferts for Medicinal Purposes!
>Legal to smoke marijuana in California:
>Uh, not quite.  The proposition was passed to legalize the purchase of
>marijuana for *medical reasons*.  You can't just hop down to the local
>dealer and say, "Gimme some." ...

The subject of weird California laws *is* on-topic here, so I hope Bill will
let me digress...since some of the players here are also involved
peripherally in the fert fight.

For all intents and purposes, pot is now legal in California - and ferts
aren't!

See, pot is still illegal under federal law, but unless the quantities are
stupendous or there's interstate traffic, it gets enforced at the local
level.  Under Prop215, there is *no* set procedure for the prescription
process - go read the original text.  There can't be, because it's still
illegal under *fed* rules, so you can't have a paper trail from the
still-partially-underground doctor to the patient.  Plus there's no exact
list of what illnesses can be treated...migranes are mentioned; how the hell
are they gonna prove you *don't* get migranes?

Result?  Anybody can claim posession or small-scale growing for medical
purposes, yet refuse to "turn in" their doctor!  And as long as it's a state
agency doing the investigating/prosecuting, they have to obey "the will of
the people".

Just too damn funny for words - this is why Dan Lundgren (State Attorney
General) called for newspapers to suppress "Doonesbury", which, along with
busting the Cannabis Buyer's Club at "just the right moment", made 215 go up
in the polls because if a jackass like him was against it, it had to be
good!  See, this ain't Danny's first time with this sort of thing - he's big
on busting people involved with needle exchange, which is also illegal on
the state level but so heavily supported that out of several tries to take
movement leaders before juries, he has zero convictions - and the city of
San Francisco and others openly run needle exchange programs with city gov't
funds!  They know that even Heroin junkies have sex and spread AIDS to
non-needle-culture people.  And *this* is the pack of state LUNATICS that us
fert-people are up against!

Now, street dealers and mega-growers out in the woods could still get
hassled - it's owners of smallish quantities and backyard small-scale
growers who are now totally in the clear.  And if the feds try to fill
the gap, they'll have to explain the cost justification.  I *love* it.