From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Nov 1996 07:23:46 -0500
We're just about to try out our third type of childproof locks.  We tried
the plastic latch kind.  It took them about a week to figure out that a
strong male could put his back to the bottom of the cabinet and open the
door enough for a small female to squeeze in.  Next came the strong magnetic
ones (not the magna-latch, just the mangnetic closure).  That worked for
several months until they found just the place to put their paws to pop the
doors open.  Right now, we use wooden spoons through the handles of the
double doors.  Makes it difficult for humans to get in, so the spoons often
get left out and the ferrets get in.  Next, if we can find them, we're going
to try the magnetic latch & key system.  I expect to find the key missing
and safely hidden in one of their hidy holes, until they need it.  <sigh>

Dick B.