From:
Pamela Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 22:59:14 -0500
New!  Improved!  Bigger than ever before!  Able to leap capital 'T' in a
single bound!

The new revision of the Ferret FAQ is now available, only a little behind
schedule.  It contains 11 completely new questions/answers and 19
significantly changed sections.  Nearly all the sections were changed at
least a little.  Many questions were moved to different parts, to even out
the file sizes a bit and (hopefully) improve the organization.  A new
structure behind the scenes should help ensure that the links and
cross-references are all correct, too.

There is also a completely new Medical FAQ on Gastric Ulcers/ Helicobacter
mustelae infection, a new "Top Seven Ferret Questions" page intended as a
meta-FAQ for ferret owners who may not know what questions they should be
asking, and a slight reorganization of Ferret Central.  A separate Ferret
Natural History FAQ covering things like domestication, taxonomy and
nomenclature, dimorphism, and so on will be released as soon as the esteemed
Mo'-Bob-missing-an-'o' (Moo'-Bob?) gets done mauling it into shape.

All of the above are available from Ferret Central, my FTP site
(ftp://ftp.optics.rochester.edu/pub/pgreene/), and the CUNY listserver.
The listserv commands for the new FAQs are/will be
GET GASTRIC ULCERS FERRET
and
GET NATURAL HISTORY FERRET

New sections in the FAQ:
   * What about interactive online chats?
   * How much do ferrets cost?
   * Do ferrets smell bad? What can I do about it?
   * How can I help the ferret community?
   * How can I protect my carpet, plants, or couch?
   * How can I stop my ferret from digging in his food or water?
   * Help! My ferret is lost!
   * What should I look for when I check over my ferret myself?
   * My ferret is going bald (tail only or all over).
   * What tests might my vet want to run, and why?
   * How do I care for my sick or recovering ferret?

Significantly changed sections:
   * Is there a shorter FAQ to hand out at meetings? Are there FAQs
       for particular diseases?
   * Where can I find pictures or clip-art of ferrets online?
   * What are these little blue dots on my ferret's ear? What's the
       deal with Marshall Farms?
   * How do I introduce a new ferret to my established one(s)?
   * How can I best ferretproof my home? What do I need to worry
       about?
   * Do I need a cage? Where can I get one? How should I set it up?
   * Any suggestions on toys?
   * What kind of collar/bell/tag/leash should I use?
   * What should I feed my ferret?
   * What are good treats?
   * What games do ferrets like to play?
   * My ferret is losing hair!
   * What else should I probably not worry about?
   * Do ferrets travel well?
   * Do I need to spay/neuter my pet? How about descenting? Declawing?
   * What vaccinations will my ferret need, and when?
   * How can I get rid of these fleas?
   * Do I need to worry about heartworms?
   * What are normal body temperature, blood test results, etc.?

As always, if you have comments or corrections, please let me know.
I don't guarantee that any changes will be made for a while -- I'd
like to finish my degree one of these decades -- but I'll do my best.

Thank you all for your support.  By the way, anybody know a publisher
interested in putting out yet another book about pet ferrets?  :-)

--
- Pam Greene
Ferret Central <http://www.optics.rochester.edu:8080/users/pgreene/>

[Moderator's note: Thanks Pam, I'm sure it's great!

Those of you who "subscribe" to the FAQ should have gotten your updates
already.  If you would like to receive any of the FAQs each time they
are changed, send mail to [log in to unmask] with the single line
of AFD ADD ANSWERS PACKAGE FERRET        BIG]