From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 15:01:45 -0500
Hi all--
I also checked out the Parentsplace page, and I found what Dr. Steele wrote
pretty problematic.  I wrote him a polite note saying that while he is
absolutely correct to insist that all animals and children must be
supervised together, he was also unknowingly repeating certain urban myths
about ferrets.  I told him that while all ferrets have individual
personalities, as a species they are no more unpredictable than any other,
and a responsible pet owner will be aware of their pet's personality and
habits.  I also pointed out that there are only two instances of ferrets
attacking young children's faces that I knew of, and that both cases
appeared to involve neglect or abuse of both the children and animals.
Finally, I suggested that as a responsible doctor, he ought to have taken
the time to research ferrets before attempting to give authoritative answers
about them, and directed him to Ferret Central too.  Has anybody heard
anything back from this guy?  I don't think he was saying bad things on
purpose; he was just repeating the same old stupid things that too many
people are willing to believe (my own roommate, after being nipped by
Amelia, asked what the chances were that a rabid mouse might have bitten
her... believe me, I took a *very* deep breath before dealing with that
one).

On a happier note-- due to these stupid wisdom teeth, I've been on a diet of
liquids for the last couple of days-- it's boring, and I'm so hungry for
real food I could scream, except that I can't open my jaws enough.  Anyway I
woke up in the night thinking, boy am I hungry-- a few seconds later Cully
appeared next to my head and deposited a mouthful of Nutra Max on the pillow
for me.  Well, I'm not quite that desparate, but it's the thought that
counts, right?  He can be a monster, but he's a decent ferret at heart.
Twice in the last month I've woken up in the morning to find him asleep by
my feet-- now that is something special, with this ferret.  Slowly but
surely, he's turning into a sweetie.

best wishes to all--

Regina

Regina Harrison
PhD Student, Anthropology
Joint Co-ordinator, AGSEM-- McGill's TA union
McGill University
Montreal, Quebec
"If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing" --Peggie Lee