From:
"March, Jim" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Oct 1996 19:23:00 -0700
Little Harry (or Hairy!) Crumb, the 3month old male albino Marshall I
recently aquired, is a very peculiar little weasel.

He's about a 2#er, and *extremely* active while around the house.  He and
Mikey got along right off the bat, which knowing Mikey was no surprise.
He's a perpetual wardance machine, and *was* a major playbiter...gentle
discipline has helped.

Question 1: Indoors, he's the "waddya MEAN ya wanna cuddle me?!" type, very
wiggly, I *never* got him to snuggle.  Until I took him outside and to a
friend's house.  He didn't act terrified, only a bit timid, and wanted to
just snuggle up and get a good belly rub!  Unreal - he turned into a whole
different critter.  I took him to a local park this past weekend, and he
just ambled around on the grass...some kids came over, and he was very
gentle but totally unafraid of them.  Given his playnip history, I was
*very* cautious at first, but there was no need; he'd gently climb on and
off their laps, etc.  Take him home, and it's "TACKLE THE FEET" time,
scratch at my leg, chomp on the ever-patient Mikey's tail, etc.

It's like I've got two different ferts in the same skinny body...has anyone
ever seen anything like it?  He didn't seem unhappy or depressed outdoors...
for one thing, whenever Felix (RIP) or Mikey ever got tired of an outdoor
excursion they'd climb up onto my lap and into my arms if given an
opportunity; Harry showed no such desire to stop the session.

Question 2: When I'm asleep, he gets a serious case of the "lick lick CHOMP"
syndrome on my legs.  At 2:00am, usually...NOT endearing.  I've tried all
kinds of discipline, it just ain't working.  It's play-based, not fear...
when I throw the covers back, he wardances away until I grab him and HISS
loudly in his face and then evict him from the bed.  I've tried gentle
biting and shaking of the scruff, the aforementioned hiss, the "nose snap",
etc.

Question is, should I try bitter apple?  For one thing, being in Calif I
feel I *must* teach him not to nip too hard, to avoid all kinds of problems
that could endanger his life later; I'm concerned that bitter apple might
make him not bite but might not teach him not to bite later.  Does that make
sense, or should I try a path other than personal negative reinforcement?

Please understand, I am *not* gonna give up on the little tyke; his behavior
in public so far has been a pleasant surprise, although I need to know if
it's possible he'll turn into the "rough play" type once he gets used to
outdoors and strangers more.  Harry and Mikey sleep together and play
together, and although I think Mikey would like him to just chill out
sometimes, Mikey shows no sign of depression or weight loss.

Any words of wisdom would be welcome...thanx!