From:
"Nancy L. Silvernale" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Oct 1996 11:13:26 -0400
Hi, everyone ..

I've been receiving the FML for a couple of years now and some days I can
read the entire list and other days I can just skim it, but ..

I wish I paid more attention to every person who wrote in about their
ferret(s) loosing fur ..  now it's my turn.

I'm guessing he's around 3 years old (I rescued him from a previous
so-called owner).  He's very active, fiesty (always has been), eats well and
gets into trouble well!

But lately I've noticed he's loosing fur along his spine.  It started by
his neck and is working its way down to the base of his tail.  He's not
completely bald along his spine, it's just very thin (for now).

He was seen by my vet when he was there for his yearly checkup/shots around
a month ago, and at the time he thought it was inflamed hair follicles
(allergy, etc..).  But now that his fur has been thinning out more, I called
back and he mentioned what I already expected about his hair loss ..  the
infamous adrenal gland.

I've read the FML facts about adrenal disease, but now I'd like to hear from
anyone who's gone through this and how you approached the problem.  There
doesn't seem to be many options available ..  expensive blood test, or an
even more expensive operation when we're not even sure, yet, if it EVEN IS
an adrenal problem.

Your experience with this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Nancy (mom of 6)