From:
Cindy McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Oct 1996 18:39:35 -0500
Hi all,

First off, a brief introduction of our kids:

Socks - (temp name until we get to know her better) A black sable mitt;
until we get her papers we are assuming she is around 3 months old.  She is
very light but otherwise healthy.  I just received her yesterday as a
birthday present.  She is a sweetheart.

Dixie - A beautiful three month old albino female.  Sweetest thing on four
legs.  Goes poop on command and if she doesn't have to go...she fakes it ;-).

Clyde - A handsome 5 year old chocolate male.  Just came back from his first
geriatric exam and he passed with flying colors.  One of the few exceptions
to the statement you can love a ferret to the point they don't bite any
more.  He has been loved and pampered for 5 years and he still will bite
hard enough to draw blood.  He is not malicious in his bites and we have
tried everything we have ever read to get him to stop.  He will be very
loving and giving kisses one minute and bite the next.  Our solution is to
give him a healthy respect.  He is held in such a way that he doesn't get
much of an opportunity to bite, but still gets loving.

We also have 5 children of the feline persuasion - Little Bit, T.C., Tigger,
Ludicrous, and Anna; One fine feathered child - Rebel - a mexican red head
parrot; and to round it all out 11 freshwater fish.

Clyde is the one that experiences episodes of grainy poop.  A little
Kaopectate gets it back to normal for a while but then the grainy poop comes
back.  As I mentioned above, he just had his geriatric examination and
everything was normal.  Our vet mentioned that she has another ferret
patient that is experiencing grainy poop but that it is all the time.  She
isn't sure what is causing it.

Just wanted to check to see if anyone else has experienced this.  To give a
more accurate description of what I have seen with Clyde, the poop is
usually a normal dark brown (we feed Totally Ferret so our guys poop is
normally dark brown) but it doesn't have the normal form.  It appears to be
loose but then I notice that their are lots of little grains of poop.  He
doesn't strain or have a tender belly.  Once I give a little kaopectate it
goes back to normal.

Any suggestions?

Cindy and the gang