From:
Ferret Rescue of Tidewater <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Sep 1996 20:40:11 -0400
Hi all!

First of all, I want everyone to note the spelling of my account.  I had a
"dispute" with AOL and now my screen name will not be available for 6
months.  Oh well!

Ceyre- insulinoma ferrets are near and dear to my heart- my first insulinoma
baby, Wolf, was 8 1/2 years old when he had his surgery for insulinoma, and
lived to be almost 11.  He was doing just fine on prednisolone twice a day
after his surgery.  Some of my later insulinomas were on both pred and
proglycem, but the proglycem is rather expensive ($50.00 for 30 days'
worth), so money may become a factor.  Most of my ferrets under age 6
considered good candidates for surgery I will go ahead and have the surgery
done, since my vet also checks for adrenals and other problems while in
there.  Good luck with your little guy, and always keep the emergency vets
phone number nearby and a bottle of Karo syrup handy (this sugar is very
easily absorbed during periods of hypoglacemic shock).  If you ever see your
ferret drooling, or lethargic, don't hesitate to take him to a vet!!!  Time
is always of the essence when you are dealing with a metabolism as fast as a
ferrets'.

Ferrets in water- I live on the Chesapeake Bay and during the spring and
fall my ferrets and I enjoy a romp in the ocean.  I always make sure to
bathe them once they are inside to remove the sea salt, but the fuzzies that
enjoy swimming have not seemed to suffer from this type of exposure.  I
would caution, however, about water temperature.

Vacuums: I have two ferrets that are absolutely TERRIFIED of the vacuum.  I
make it a point when I am cleaning to move them into a bathroom where they
are least exposed to the sound of the vacuum.  I have no idea why they are
so scared, but I try to respect them and their fears.

Kelleen- I agonize with you on the ECE outbreak that you have.  Thank God
you have an experienced vet to assist you.  I wish I could help, but 2000
miles separate us.  If you need help, please don't ever think twice about
asking, and especially about ECE.  I have had three long years of dealing
with it.

Pam Grant - I will help with ferret overflow as much as I can - you are only
3 hours away, and any ferret is worth the drive.  Just tell me what I can do
to help, and I will be there!

Lastly, prolapsed rectum - I have only had one ferret with a prolapsed
rectum, and it was due to diet (duck soup).  Hope was such a bad candidate
for surgery, she was constantly monitored for quality of life.  I agree,
though, anytime you are in doubt, take them to another vet.  I had two vets
examine Hope, and both said surgery was not an option.  We instead made her
as comfortable as possible during her last days.  That I think, is the most
important thing.

I hope today finds all ferrets happy and healthy.

Lisa