From:
"Emily E. Classon" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 21:56:20 -0400
Hi everyone.  I did something interesting this evening.

We were looking at the new batch (of rather cute and unique looking) kits in
the pet store at the mall.  Well, one of the store employees was telling a
customer about ferrets.  She was giving information which was completely
untrue just to try to sell them.  She was saying that they only need rabies
shots every few years, and that they're really cheap.  She also said that
all you need for a ferret comes in the kit they have (litter, Marshall food,
hammock, litter box, bitter apple, book, and scoop).  It made me really mad,
since these people had told me that the ferrets had all their distemper
shots when they had only had one.  Hence, I adopted my new ferret from a
shelter.  So, I told the man a little about how to care for ferrets.  I also
told him that he'd have to get other shots for them and the prices area vets
charge (drastically different from what the clerk said).  She walked off and
didn't stay to even try to learn anything I was saying.

It just made me really mad.  I can see why so many fuzzies end up in
shelters because people don't get accurate information up front.  Although
ferrets don't have to be impossible to care for, they do take work.  Many
pet store people don't want to state that fact.  I recommended that he do
some reading and talk to people before getting one.  I don't think the store
liked me too much though.  It's ok, they're too overpriced anyway.

Emily (owned by the beautiful and silver Nietra)