From:
GALE PUTT <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Sep 1996 09:15:32 -0400
First, we have worked with raccoons for over 30 years and have never had or
even heard of a case of spinal meningitis in raccoons.  So, I went back and
checked both the center for disease control records and also the Dept of
Interiors National wildlife morbidity records and guess what?  Nothing there
either.  I am suspicious ofpeople who are in a position of trust giving out
information which they either make up just to have an answer or prove a
political point against certain animals or who give us purely annecdotal
heresay as fact.  It is up to all of us to check out information before
passing it on and now with computers, you can do this much easier than ever
before.

Inexpensive cages with out frames.

We make our cages out of half inch hardware cloth and if you cut your sides
2 inches ober the length then fold it to a right angle when you put it
together all the edged will be extra thicknesses giving the cage all the
ridgidity it needs without a frame.  There is a tool ($5) that you can buy
to connect all your hardware cloth and you can also use the connector rings
to make hinges for your doors.  If anyone would like a diagram of this, send
me a stamped self addressed envelope and I will be glad to send it to you.
For some really good cage ideas try some of the wildlife rehabbing magazines
and books since ferret cages have many of the requirements we need in our
wildlife cages.

hope this helps,
Gale Putt