From:
Jennifer Poverchuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Sep 1996 17:09:53 -0400
Hello.......
I am a new ferret owner...I have had my 2 sables (Bandit, aka Big Boy, and
Weezer, aka Little One) since the end of July.  I have never had a problem
with them until now.  Please, if somebody can help me, email me directly...I
would appreciate it.

Here's my situation:
Weezer is a 1.5 lb.  female.  She had her distemper shot about a week ago,
on Thursday.  I noticed on Saturday that she was shivering.....I thought
because it was too cold in her room.  I got a portable radiator and put it
in the room--since then the room has been a lovely temp.  However, on
Sunday, she vomitted a tiny amount.  I was worried,thinking she might be
having a latent reaction to the shot,so I called my vet.  He said if she
wasn't sluggish and was eating and drinking, things were fine.  Things WERE
fine until last night, Tuesday.  She all of a sudden went into a huge
wretching jag, then vomitted about three times.  She seemed a bit woozy
after that, but I figured it was to be expected after all that wretching.
She did NOT seem lethargic, just a wee bit tired.  She had a normal bowel
movement shortly afterward.  I called the emergency animal hospital, and
they said if she wasn't lethargic that I should call my vet in the morning.
I could still get her to chase her leash (one thing she loves to do, but she
didn't seem to be interested in much else.) This is unusual for her, she has
so much energy and always wants to go go go!

Well, this morning, she was extremely lethargic, and didn't seem to eat or
drink.  There is no hair loss, no shivering, but she has been grinding and
gnashing her teeth this morning.  I brought her to the vet, but he doesn't
know what to do...he doesn't know what's wrong.  The vet gave her a shot of
antibiotics and some fluids under the skin as she was starting to dehydrate.
I can't get her to drink, she will if she wants, but not much.

I just found out that the clumping cat litter is bad...and she does root and
dig through it if the pan is freshly cleaned.  I am terrified..I don't know
where to turn...  If somebody knows a good vet that can help or has some
immediate advice, please email me at [log in to unmask] (that's usa-one, not L)
I live in the Boston area.

Thanks

worried mom,
Jen
and Bandit, worried big brother
zzzzzzzz from Weezer, one sick little girl

This is a P.S. to [the above]...

I forgot to mention that this morning, as I brought her to the vet's, she
had a black, tarry stool...and nothing since.  I am so worried!  Is this
just the flu, or some stomach bug, or is this something REALLY bad?