From:
"Kris Aaron-Benedum (and S. & S.)" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 13:08:36 -0500
Kelleen wrote: Since I have absolutely no reliable help with this shelter
and Mom is not in the best health either I honestly wonder if I am not
endangering these little ones by trying to do this when I have no help and
my health is deteriorating more.  What if this had been the Big Time with
ECE or something more deadly than this appears to be so far??  It hurts me
to think about it.  Maybe I am doing more harm than good.

But it WASN'T ECE and you're NOT endangering them!!!  Your love for them --
a love they can feel -- is as important and maybe more so than any physical
care-giving you do (with the exceptions of those undergoing a serious health
crisis).  They need you more than they need clean litter boxes, fresh
newspaper and clipped nails.  I have a suggestion for healing your hands: My
furchildren always know when we're in pain or depressed and they seem to try
harder to give us love and make us laugh.  When my SO broke his knee our
little male albino fert put on special performances of such naughtiness and
outrageous behavior that had his humans howling with laughter (he carried it
too far, of course, and when I was at work and my SO couldn't get out of the
chair Shredni ended up being zipped into a ventilated backpack so the human
could get a little sleep).  Our kitties constantly slept on my SOs lap
through his entire convalescence, something they don't often do.  (Our fat
old granny cat kept licking his stitches and sneezing -- she hated the "vet"
smell but knew she had to make him better).  My suggestion (finally!) is to
gather your fuzzbutts around you, take as many of them as you can in your
arms and lap, and explain clearly and carefully to them how badly your hands
hurt.  Form mental pictures of the pain in your hands and look as many of
the kids in the eye as you can while you're explaining.  The ones who
understand what you're telling them will spell it out to those who weren't
paying attention.  Then lie down on the floor, arms and hands in a
comfortable position (as much as is possible) so the furries can get to
them.  They'll lick and nuzzle and kiss.  Some will fall asleep as close to
you as they can get.  Your kids know you're in pain and depressed and
they're worried about you.  Let them give you healing, just like you've
given them.  They love to do it!  And they're very good at it!  Love, hugs,
blessings and deep wishes for your health to come back -- Rainey, Stormin,
Shredni, Scooter, Cairbre and Angel