From:
Ed Holtz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 1996 10:16:52 -0400
I have a question about ferrets playing with one another.  How can you tell
when they are being too rough?  I just bought my girlfriend a 7 week old
male sable that she has named Nutmeg.  Nutmeg and Thunder love to play with
each other, but sometimes we worry that they are being a little on the rough
side.  I, being the typical male, tell her boys will be boys and they are
just having a good time.  Yet, I get the old song and dance of how he is her
baby and not a rough houser.  Thunder is 7 months old and he is quite larger
than Nutmeg, but I don't think they are being too rough.  They are so funny
to watch also.  Nutmeg will start biting at Thunder and he won't pay a bit
of attention.  Nutmeg will continue until Thunder starts after him and then
he will sprint off to a spot where Thunder can't get him.  Nutmeg shoots out
of that spot occasionally biting Thunder in the butt.  Then Thunder climbs
on this box and waits for Nutmeg to come out and when he does he just jumps
right on him.  That is when the carnage begins.  One will chase the other
around and then they will switch.  All the while I hear my girlfriend in the
background screaming because they are atacking her feet together.  The whole
scene is hillarious to watch.  Eventually though, Thunder will stop and find
business elsewhere, but Nutmeg being himself will bother Thunder until he
starts to paly again.  I didn't go into the details of the playing too much
so please write back and let me know where to draw the line.  If for no
other reason than to keep my girlfriend from nagging me.

Thank you,
Ed

"I don't want to go in that pan Dad. I want to do it in that corner!" Thunder
"Grumble, grumble, grumble" Dad