From:
Amy Cada <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Oct 1996 01:24:42 -0500
Wondering if anyone else has seen the same scenario in their fuzzies...and
what possibly helped their situation.

13 weeks ago all four of my ferrets came down with diarrhea and quit eating
and drinking at the same time.  We treated them with the standard course of
amoxicillin and Pepto to no avail for 2 weeks, even though we could not
culture anything out of their stools.  We also tried Flagyl and liquid
Immodium.  After 4 weeks of consequtive diarrhea, it stopped, but the
anorexia continued---for FOUR more weeks!  During that time we tried Vit.  B
injections and folic acid supplements to stimulate their appetites.  The
diarrhea was never green, we never were able to culture anything (done
before the start of antibiotic treatment).  They recovered 2 weeks ago, for
one week, then two of them either had a relapse of whatever it was in a
different form or picked up helicobacter at the vet's office last week when
one was in for adrenal surgery.  This time, the symptoms are fairly easy to
diagnose--looks like gastritis that progressed to gastric or epigastric
ulcers in these two; they got started on the standard regimen today.

I've gone on long enough!  If anyone has had any mysterious diarrhea,
especially with accompanying anorexia, please email me privately.  Thanks

Amy M.E. Cada                            [log in to unmask]
Behavioral Neuroscience, UT Austin
Asta- 1/3 NA agility, tennis ball, flyball, and bath addict scottie;
Wylie-court jester wire fox; and their 4 geriatric ferret friends