From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:02 -0500
I want to thank each and evey one of you who have sent mail regarding Gus.
Thank you so much. Yes, the loss is very difficult, but you have all made
it tolerable.

One letter questioned the ethics of my doing the necropsy on Gus, and if I
was going to save the skeleton. (Please, don't anyone flame this person;
they weren't angry, they just wondered how I could do it, and they knew
of my bone-related profession)

The necropsy was _EXTREMELY_ difficult; I had to stop several times to allow
my eyes to clear so I could see what I was doing.  It helped to hide his
face under a cloth, but still... I did it because I knew I could get the
answers I needed by the next day, instead of several if he was sent off to
someone else.  While I may not be an expert, I have been specifically
trained in histological proceedures, and was able to do the work Thursday
morning.  Gus probably died from heart failure secondary to problems caused
by proliferative colitis, confirmed via histological sections of effected
bowel, and stains of smears of the bowel contents.  He was well hydrated at
the time of death, and his electrolytes were ok.  His red blood cells were
lower than normal, and his while blood cells were elevated.

Gus had a heart with a smaller than normal right ventricle, giving the
heart an odd comma-like shape. All other systems appeared normal, except a
slight enlargement of the kidneys.

How could I do it?  Because I had to in order to protect my other ferrets.
That's the bottom line.  As for his skeleton, well, mine is legally donated
to science already.  Gus's skeleton will become part of a scientific
database that could be used to answer questions of domestication, ferret
origins, or ferret use.  I'm sorry if some of you think that is odd or cruel
or inhuman.  I can't think of a better way to celebrate the joy Gus brought
into my life than by passing ferret knowledge on to others.

"If I could dance all night and love all day, my joy would be insignificant
to that which I recieved from you in a single moment, my love."

"Never forget. To play is to live. To stop playing is to grow old and
die. Surround yourself with those that love to play."

Mo' Bob and 18 Irreplaceable Poopheads