From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Oct 1996 09:54:20 CST6CDT
Outsdie Ferrets - Why would anyone want to keep a ferret outside?  A
companion animal is just that, a companion, not yard art.  If you want yard
art pink flamingos are relatively inexpensive.  After first hand experience
and reliable accounts from others of ferrets freezing to death, or body
parts frozen to the bottom of the cage and loosing limbs due to frostbite,
no food or water, no shelter, dying of heat stroke,etc. my heart aches each
time someone mentions keeping ferrets outside.  Even if you provide all the
necessities, others may see the ferrets housed outside and do the same
without providing necessities or bothering to research what type of care
ferrets need.  Look at the Fredonia ferrets, they are kept outside in rabbit
hutches with wire bottoms.  Rabbits have long feet, ferrets do not.  So when
these little ones try to walk on the wire their little feet fall through, so
they sit idly in the nest boxes until they are hungry are have to go the
bathroom..... And for some reason every single year this breeder finds dead
ferrets in the spring.....

Intros - I read about ferrets being upset when new ones join the family.
Our home is quite different, first I share our home with 54 of the furry
little loves and if I come home with the smell of another ferret on me you
should see all the noses in the air.  I get sniffed all over and checked
out, sometimes even UNDER my shirt, to see where I stashed the new fuzzie.
And if I only bring the smell home with me I have some very disappointed and
sad fuzzies.

Hugs to all. tle