Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 1996 22:20:37 -0400
From:
Kit West <[log in to unmask]>
Well, folks, it happened again!  That "dreaded" phenomenon, "Ferret Math" --
but this time, with a twist.

This past weekend, we attended the LOS National Show in Croydon, PA.  Upon
arrival at the hall Friday Night, we were greeted and immediately introduced
to a pair of sable sprites.  Sharon (a/k/a LOS WA) knew how we felt about
animal abuse cases.  As she lifted the first little one out of the cage
(originally designed for guinea pigs or rabbits), we noticed that her left
front leg was missing.  It seems that her owner couldn't find her.  Before
leaving for work, in looking for her, he lifted the bed, didn't see her, and
dropped the bed down on her.  Eight hours or so later, when he came home
from work, he "found" her and took her to the vet.  Okay, it *could* have
been an accident, but I would have thought that she would have made some
sort of sound when her leg was crushed.  I know *I* sure would have.  The
stitches were still in her -- and long past time to come out.

At any rate, this buffoon made a call and told ((ROSE??)) that if nobody
picked them up immediately they would be destroyed in the morning.  Truly
humane and worthy of...well, never mind.  They were picked up by a wonderful
young man named Jeff and were obviously waiting for us.  We're suckers for
pretty ferrets (and we all know that they're all pretty).

Well, there was no way we could pass the two of them up.  We're holding at
8 -- for the present.  Sharon made us promise that this pair would stay with
us.  Of course, we agreed.

The little "tripod" was quickly given her new name: "Nike." She was anxious
to explore whatever she could -- talk about a spirit of victory -- and the
phrase "Just Do It" more than fits.  Her formal name is "Sanctuary's
FlameDancer."

Her sister is Shadow (short for "Sanctuary's Moonshadow Huntress").  She
attacked the shower curtain at the hotel while Nike pulled the plug up and
away from the drain with her remaining front foot...and didn't lose her
balance.  They've settled in and have agreed to help out on their weekly
progress reports to their Aunt Sharon.

Being at the show, we missed the annual "Blessing of the Animals" held at
the Cathedral of St.  John the Divine (we had planned to take Calvin, our
6.5 year old MF rescue).  It seems that some very special people at the show
had spoken to the Monseignor at St.  Thomas Aquinas Church (the LOS show was
held in their hall) and he blessed Nike and Shadow.

Nike was a bit nippy at first (and who could blame her?) but she gives
quick, tentative kisses now.  Sharon knew that Nike was going to come home
with us...when Sharon handed her to Alex, she immediately showered him with
kisses.  Nostril kisses, ear kisses, lip kisses...need I go on?  And I even
get a quick lick on the forearm now and again.

Ferret math.  Ferret kisses.  Lending a paw...er, hand when it's needed (and
possible).  That's what it's all about, folks.

                                Kit

PS: Calvin, the "hairless wonder" is no longer hairless.  He has the
beginning of a coat and is now a kisser and cuddler.  Must be the Bertwick
Horse Balls.  <G>