From:
"JEFF JOHNSTON, EPIDEMIOLOGY" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Sep 1996 23:54:23 -0400
Apparently my first message got through to the FML after a day's delay.  I
suppose it's not surprising that the internet is messed up following the
hurricane.

Here's the latest: what was left of the eye of Hurricane Fran apparently
passed right over the house where Karen Marsh-Lovvorn runs the Triangle
ferret shelter.  Obviously, the shelter won't be operating until some of the
damage can be fixed and power is restored.

Other isolated pockets of severe destruction dot the area, however.  In my
part of Chapel Hill, approximately one house in eight has a tree on it or in
it, and about 50% of houses have entire trees down somewhere in the yard, on
the street.  Power is out for about 500,000 people in North Carolina last I
heard.  The concern for Monday is the heat, which is expected to reach the
low-to-mid 90s.  Homes without power won't be able to circulate air and ice
is at a premium, although it is being trucked in from as far away as
Charlotte.  The potential for heat stroke exists for ferret owners, so we're
trying to see if anyone in the area can help take in ferrets that might be
at risk from the heat or who have homes that are no longer ferret-proofed
due to hurricane damage.

I'll provide more updates as I can.  At least for the moment, food and water
don't seem to be major problems, but temporary housing will be the next
immediate concern.

--Jeff Johnston