From:
Carla Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Sep 1996 21:52:22 -0400
Jeff Johnston wrote:
>Carla Smith asked about using masks for protecting her ferrets ...
>The inexpensive paper masks available in hardware stores will stop *some*
>virus spread but certainly not all.  <....snip....> In practical terms, if
>you are scrupulous about washing your hands before handling your ferrets or
>can trust yourself to use a tissue or turn away if you feel the need to
>sneeze while you're with them (and then wash your hands afterward), then you
>shouldn't need a mask.

No, Jeff, someone else was asking about using the masks - I was stating that
I DID use them, and I get them from a pharmacist, not the hardware store
<G>.  I use them because I have SEEN a major difference in whether or not my
ferrets come down with whatever my "bug of the month" is.  I agree
wholeheartedly with the handwashing; I do it before and after handling the
mask, or handling the critters or anything that's theirs.  There's also the
fact that wearing a mask makes it a lot harder to rub at your nose without
thinking!  Plus, if my lungs or sinuses are already irritated, it doesn't do
ME any good to be breathing in dust and stuff when I clean their pans and
cages... so the masks have helped on both sides.

I took in two new critters yesterday.  A young couple is expecting their
first child, and in the process of moving, and they were concerned that the
ferrets would wind up being neglected.  The wife took them to the Humane
Society, and was politely turned away ("We don't take ferrets") but they
gave her my number.  When she called, I asked whether they were male or
female, and she said, "No, they're neutered." I asked whether they were boys
or girls, and she said "Well, we think they're both boys." When I got there,
and was introduced to "Milo" and "Shorty" I said, "Well, Milo is a boy.
But, Shorty is definately a little girl." (I don't like the name "Shorty"
and will be changing it as soon as I can think of something appropriate -
fortunately, neither of them respond to those names.) Milo is a gorgeous
siamese pattern with chocolate legs, tail and zipper, and his body is a pale
(almost champagne) chocolate.  The little girl is a classic sable, with a
sweet baby-ish face and huge eyes.  They're both about 1.5 +/- years old, in
good condition.

Please send warm fuzzy thoughts to Maxwell - by the time most of you read
this on Monday, he'll be in surgery (or already out - with no complications -
we hope!) for insulinoma.  I'm taking Rhodri (aka The Moose) in also, as a
donor ferret just in case Wellesley's a bleeder.  But please, don't tell
Wellesley if he does need a transfusion - he doesn't get along that well
with Rhodri, and probably wouldn't appreciate knowing the source of the
donation... <LAG>

Carla S.
Rio Grande Domestic Ferret Club